Valentines day is near and we’re all looking for unique gift ideas for our special ones. Well, here’s an inexpensive yet super cute gift idea. It’ll take only a few minutes, give it a try!
- Heart template
- Pencil or pen
- Needle and thread
- Embroidery floss and tapestry needle
- Wool for stuffing
First we’re going to prepare the heart shapes from the felt.
- Create a heart template or simply print and cut out one. Place the heart template on a piece of felt and trace around the side.
- Cut out 2 pieces of hearts from felt. You will need heart patterns to complete each piece.
- On a piece of paper trace half or full pattern of the heart template. Mark the area for cross stitching and design the cross stitch pattern on it. I made 3 cross stitch patterns – XOXO, HUG and KISS.
- Use a pen or pencil to mark the stitching points of each letter on the felt. We are cross stitching the XOXO pattern.
In this step we’ll do the cross stitch
- Prepare needle and thread. Draw the needle from the back side of the felt and through any marked points. Hold about half an inch of the thread at the back side while doing the first stitch. We started from the bottom left point of the letter ‘X’. Now draw the needle from top right point to the top left point to do the first half stitch
- Now draw the needle from the ‘X’s bottom right point to ‘O’s bottom left point. The first ‘X’ is complete.
- Stitch any 2 parallel lines of the ‘O’ first. Complete the by cross stitching the other 2 parallel lines of the letter ‘O’.
- Complete the rest half similarly. Cross stitch the other patterns using the same technique.
And finally we are going to make the plushie!
- Place a plain heart felt under the stitched one and stitch around the sides to join both pieces together. Start from the top center.
- Do flat blanket stitches around the side. Keep a small open end before stitching the entire edge.
- Insert wool through the open end. Insert until the heart shape is full and fluffy.
- Stitch the open end to secure the filling. Tie 2 knots and cut off extra thread.
A simple craft but a cute gift for your Valentine. You can use these heart plushies for other crafts as well. Enjoy!