Create Recycled Yarn Bird
This super cute yarn bird craft has become quite popular around the craft and diy websites and blogs. I’ve seen a number of awesome tutorials for this bird from awesome crafters and makers. Each of them were wonderful and unique. I also tried making one and was very happy to be able to make it perfectly in my first attempt!
This craft project is also great for recycling leftover yarns!
- Needle and thread
- Craft wire and pliers
- Craft glue
- Pencil and ruler
Before getting started you’ll need to know a few tips about making this yarn bird. You’ll need 3 pieces of cardstock papers. For the long piece (12 cm) use dark colored yarn, this will be the upper part of the bird. For one 9 cm piece use light colored yarn, this will be the lower part of the bird. For the other 9 cm cardstock piece mix 2 colors together, we’ll create the wings with this group of yarns. Follow the instructions below and you’ll be clear about it.
- As you already know that you’ll need to cut 3 pieces of cardstock papers. The width of the cardstock papers should be around 4-5 cm. Two cardstock papers should be 9 cm and the other one 12 cm. The measurement will vary depending on the size of the bird.
- Take different colored yarns and wrap them around the cardstock papers lengthwise. Keep wrapping them until they are thick enough (1cm thickness on each side should work)
- Hold the yarns on the cardstock firmly and cut any one side. Doing so you will get a group of yarn strands. The group of yarns will double lengthwise than the cardstock papers after cutting one side.
- Take the dark colored, 24 cm long yarn group and place it on a flat surface horizontally. Take the light colored 18 cm long yarn group and place it on the longer group of yarns vertically, right in the middle, creating a cross.
- Fold the 24 cm long yarns into half, wrapping the light colored yarn group. Take a small piece of dark colored yarn and tie it around the half folded yarn group tightly adjacent to the fold.
- Now fold the light colored yarn group into half, take a small piece of light colored yarn and tie it around the half folded yarn group tightly adjacent to the fold. Make sure that the edges of both half folded yarn groups are leveled.
- Take the mix-colored yarn group and place it below the tied yarns from the previous step. The folded parts of the previous tied yarn groups should be facing upwards.
- Take a small piece of paper (half of A4 sized paper). Crumple the piece of paper and squeeze it to make it small. The size of the birds body would depend on the size of the crumpled paper.
- Place the crumpled paper in between the 3 group of yarns as shown in the last picture of this step.
- After placing the crumpled paper in between the yarn groups hold the open ends of the yarn groups together tightly.
- Take a small piece of any colored strand and tightly tie it around that end to join all the yarn groups together.
- Trim the end of the yarn groups to level them.
- Simply attach 2 black beads on both sides of the birds head using needle and matching thread.
- Make a small cone from orange colored cardstock paper for the beak. Glue the beak on its place.
- Use craft wire to make the legs. Attach the legs by bending the open ends of the legs and inserting it through the yarns of the lower part.
Tada! Use different colored yarns to make different patterned birds. Hope you enjoy making one. Happy crafting!