I like gift in pouch rather than wrapping it with paper. Though you can’t put all kinds of gifts inside pouches but I think, jewelries, accessories, little decor pieces and small gifts suit best in pouches. I love making burlap gift pouches, they’re easy to make, you can customize them as you want (paint’em, stitch a pattern on the burlap, anything you want!). Here’s a super easy, Valentine themed burlap gift pouch tutorial. Follow the instructions to make one.
- Burlap fabric
- Sticker paper
- Fabric paint
- Paint brush
- Sewing machine
- Sewing thread
- Satin ribbon – 1 cm wide and length of your choice
- Cut a piece of burlap fabric. You can cut 2 pieces and then stitch them around 3 sides or cut one long piece and fold it lengthwise then stitch 2 sides. I prepared a 5.5 X 13 inches long piece. Folded the 14 inches part into half. The pouch will be 5 X 6.5 after stitching.
- Cut out a heart shape pattern from a sticker. Keep at least 1 cm area intact on the sticker, around the shape.Place the sticker on the burlap (on its required place). I attached the sticker 3 inches below the shorter edge.
- Place a piece of scrap paper under the burlap fabric. Paint the shape. The sticker will allow you to paint inside the shape.
- Allow the paint to dry and then carefully take off the sticker. You can paint any shape with this technique.
- Fold the burlap into half lengthwise by keeping the heart paint inside. Stitch along the 2 sides, make sure to keep the top side open.
- Turn the right side out through the open end of the stitched burlap.
- Prepare a thin ribbon in a tapestry needle. Stitch the ribbon through the burlap’s loose threads (along the line from where we took off a thread). Simply do running stitches.
- Stitch all around until you’ve circled the pouch once with the ribbon stitch. Now you can simply pull the ribbons ends and tie a bot knot.
I also attached beads with the ribbons open ends. Tie 2-3 knots at the end to secure the beads. You can print any shape you want and make the perfect gift pouch for anyone in occasion. Enjoy!